Saturday 19 December 2009

Zen and the art of Driving.


I used to love driving, I mean it was the be all and end all, it was a skillset to be proud of.
Spending Sundays with your friends, driving to the beach, into the city, fuck it, just parked up and talking shit, my car was a mobile fun machine, it took me to places i'd never been before, places I'd been to too many times, was a thing to talk about and a point of pride.
That was 20 years ago.

Now, sat here thinking about it, the joy hasn't just gone out of driving but car ownership full stop.
Ever higher fuel prices, roads where when you dodge one pothole you hit a bigger one and pay for the privilege. Cant park your car withing 300 metres of another car without some prick dinking your door.

When I passed my test over 20 years ago I could tell you what the meaning of every sign and the braking distances in the Highway Code.
Nowadays my old copy is as useful as a candyfloss cock.
Half the roads signs I see nowadays I haven't got a fucking clue what they mean.
Some i've seen a handful of times before, others spring up and I havent a clue, they go right over my head.

So, it never comes as a surprise to me when I see some young Turk hairing past me today only to realise that he's about to go 3 points heavy on his licence and to compensate for this impending problem brakes from 60 to 30 in the blink of an eye.
Today I saw the outcome of this when some idiot did this live and in living colour, in front of me and on ice.
His car didn't look too good after being hit by the car behind him and him hitting the car on the inside of him. Sadly, their cars also looked a bit worse for wear too.
Now, for the last half mile i'd seen the camera signs on the central reservation, obviously if Captain Saxo had of taken them seriously he'd still have a car without new found creases in.
My biggest surprise however is the fact that nobody was hurt or worse still ,killed.
I'm not a big fan of speed cameras, and this proves the my point that when your looking out for them whether you are speeding or not, your not totally concentrating on what you should really be doing, which is driving.
Today once again proved to me there's just no joy left in driving any more.

On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 2